Last updated: August 3, 2015
We're always working to make our services even better. One of the ways we do that is by analyzing information we collect and receive about users in order to figure out what they might be interested in. This helps us develop more engaging content and provide more effective advertising, which enables us to keep most of our services free.
Cookie Information and Opting Out
Harmless cookies that are designed to enhance your user experience of this website are stored on your device. These consist of small data files relating to you and this website. Information stored in cookies created by TheTopTV are not shared with any third party unless required to do so by law.
By continuing to browse this website you are consenting to the storage of its first party cookies on your device. Should you disagree to the storage of first party cookies from this website on your device please click here to remove them and discontinue browsing this website.
Information We Collect and Receive
We collect and receive information about users in a few different ways:
Information you give us. You can give us information directly. For example:
- When you post comments in response to a story or video on any of our Services, we-and other users-receive that information;
- When you otherwise contact us or provide us information directly.
Information we collect or receive when you use our Services. We also collect or receive information when you use our Services. We collect some of this information using cookies, web beacons, and other technologies. Depending on how you access and use our Services, we may receive:
Log information. This is information we automatically collect and store when you use our Services or other companies' websites and apps in the TheTopTV Advertising Network. It may include, for example:
- Information about your interactions with the websites, apps, and other services you use, the content you view, the search queries you submit, and information in cookies and similar technologies;
- Information about how you access those websites, apps, and other services, your browser or operating system, your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, and the website you visited before visiting our Services.
Device information. This is information we automatically collect and store about the device you use when you access our Services or the services in the TheTopTV Advertising Network. (Note that by "device," we mean anything you use to access our Services. Device information includes, for example:
- The type of device you're using (e.g., an iPhone);
- Certain device identifiers which may be unique to your device; and
- Your Internet service provider.
- Location information. This information can include, for example, your device's GPS signal and information about nearby WiFi networks and cell towers. We get this information when you use location-enabled services like MapQuest, which can give you driving directions based on your current location.
Information from third-party sources. We may receive additional information about you that is publicly or commercially available and combine that with the information we have collected or received about you in other ways. Also, we receive information about you when you choose to connect with social networking services while using our Services. Learn more about how that works here.
How We Use the Information We Collect and Receive
We use the information we collect and receive for the following general purposes:
To provide our Services. We use the information we collect and receive to provide you with the Services you use or request. For example:
- If you ask us to remember your login information for TheTopTV Services, we'll use information stored in cookies when you return to those websites.
To improve our Services. We also use the information we collect and receive to provide content and advertising that people are likely to find relevant and engaging. For example:
- If we receive information from users that a Service isn't working properly, we may use that information to address any problem.
To provide effective advertising. Many of our Services are supported by advertising, and some of our Services provide advertising on our websites and apps, and on third-party websites and apps. We use the information we collect and receive to make the advertising we provide more effective. Some of the ways we do this are:
- Showing you ads based on your online activities, such as the websites and applications you use, the content you view, and the searches you submit on those applications
- Limiting the number of times you see the same ad; and
- Measuring the effectiveness of the ads we serve.
How We Share the Information We Collect and Receive
Affiliates. The information one TheTopTV affiliate receives can be shared among other TheTopTV affiliates.
Business partners. We may share non-personally identifiable information with select business partners, who may use the information for a variety of purposes, including to provide you with relevant advertising.
Other parties in response to legal process or when necessary to protect our Services. We may disclose your information-including the contents of your communications with other parties-to other parties, such as when we have a good faith belief that:
- It is necessary to respond to lawful governmental requests or legal process (for example, a court order, search warrant, or subpoena);
- The information is relevant to a crime that has been or is being committed;
- An emergency exists that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of another person; or
- It is necessary to protect the rights or property of TheTopTV.
Other parties in connection with certain business transactions. In the event that the ownership of TheTopTV Inc. or an affiliate or their assets changes as a result of a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy, your information may be transferred to another company. If we believe a transfer results in a material change in the use of the information we've collected or received about you, you will be given the opportunity to opt out of the transfer.
Companies that Provide Services to TheTopTV
Companies that provide services to us or act on our behalf may have access to information about you. These companies are limited in their ability to use information they receive in the course of providing services to us.
Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising Services, or Functionality on Our Services
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. Such third parties include:
- Advertising providers, which help us and our advertising customers provide ads that are tailored to users' interests and understand how users respond to those ads;
- Audience-measurement companies, which help us measure the overall usage of our Services and compare that usage to other online services; and
- Social networking services (like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google ) that enable you to login to certain of our Services and to share things you find on our Services with your social network.
Note that some of these companies participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive targeted ads. To learn more, please visit the websites of the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance.
It's important to remember that we don't control the privacy practices of these (or any other) third-party services. So we encourage you to read the privacy policies of the services before connecting to them.
"Do Not Track" Signals
Some web browsers may transmit "do not track" signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites should do when they receive these signals. TheTopTV currently does not take action in response to these signals. If and when a standard for responding is established, we may revisit its policy on responding to these signals.
Our Commitment to Security
Although no one can guarantee the security of the information collected and received, we do employ a number of safeguards intended to mitigate the risk of unauthorized access or disclosure of this information. Examples of the types of safeguards we may provide (depending on the circumstances) include:
- Storing the data you provide in controlled facilities;
- Using HTTPS encryption when you authenticate (i.e., log into one of our Services), which helps prevent unauthorized access to your login credentials;
- Limiting access to personal information to employees who need that access to perform their jobs; and
- Providing company-wide training on privacy and data security.
If you have questions concerning our information practices with respect to children, or if you would like to review, have deleted, or stop the further collection of your child's personal information, you may contact us:
How to Contact Us